Accuride have a wide range of slide types and sizes available to suit a variety of applications. Searching for similar applications in our Market Sector and Case Study pages may provide some ideas and be helpful in identifying the most suitable slide.
Below we have listed 10 useful tips to help in the selection process:
- Is a ball bearing slide the best option? Accuride offer Ball Bearing and Friction slides from their range. Ball Bearing slides are available in a wide range of sizes and load ratings and have low movement friction, making them ideal for easy to move access applications. Friction slides are designed to have a higher movement force under load, but can work reliably in harsh environments over a high number of cycles.
- What is the required Load Rating ? Slides are categorised by load rating, so the mass they are required to move is an important consideration. The weight of all the moving components, including the construction materials, must be calculated. Searching for suitable slides based on load rating is generally a good starting point. With wide applications, it is recommended to select a higher rated slide to overcome the additional side loads and reduce racking.
- How far do you need your item to move? The difference in length between a closed and a fully opened slide is known as the Slide Travel, or Extension. Telescopic slides are available in various extensions, ranging from Part Extension, Full Extension, and Over Travel. Linear slides do not extend telescopically, and the moving member always travels within the slide length.
- What finish is required? Zinc plated steel is standard, but black, white, stainless steel, aluminium and corrosion resistant coatings are available.
- How far apart will the slides be positioned and will they be side or flat mounted? Typically, slides are tested at their catalogue load rating at 450mm apart, and some slides cannot be flat mounted. Those slides that can be flat mounted will have a reduced load rating, as specified in the relevant data sheet.
- How much space do you have to accommodate the slide? Each type of slide has its own side space requirement and profile height. Cross section drawings are available for all slides.
- What is the best method of fixing the slides? The majority of slides are designed to be fixed by screws, but there are also slides with bayonet mounting options, designed for efficient fixing into steel cabinets. Bayonet fixings can also be used in wooden cabinets with the use of a ladder strip accessory.
- Does the application need a specific function? There are a number of standard features available on some slides, such as detent hold in, disconnect, self close, easy close, lock in and lock out.
- Use Accuride’s slide selector tool on the website to configure a product. Slide configurations, built on the Accuride website, can be saved in an individual product library and used to compare features, or to refer to at a later date.
- Cannot see the slide you need? Accuride is available to discuss your product requirements and provide advice. Email your question to email@example.com, or use our webchat to connect with our service crew. You may also want to read our on-line page called ‘How to select a ball bearing drawer slide’.